Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Clinical Diagnosis: Lymph Nodes Benign!

I did not sleep well at all last night. Got up this morning at 5:00am, left the house at 6:00am for Baltimore to go to Johns Hopkins', had a 1:30pm fertility appointment in Rockville that we barely made, and I was still talking with medical offices tonight at 6:00pm. What a day! I don't think I look too shabby for a cancer patient though.


Some very good news came through today. A summary of the highlights follows below:
  • The lymph nodes are clinically diagnosed as benign!!!! Dr. Clark did feel one slightly larger lymph node on the right side through a physical exam, so she ordered an auxillary lymph node ultrasound. Ultrasound is better than either mammogram or MRI for diagnosing cancer that is in the lymph nodes because it sees the architecture of the lymph node best. A thickened cortex is bad. Mine where fine. The slightly enlarged lymph node could have been from the biopsy.  Notably, ultrasound is best done in-person, rather than reading images later. It is somewhat surprising that after reading all the reports I've had done so far, that the other place didn't actually do this in the first place. In any event, I am RELIEVED that the nodes are benign. If it hasn't spread to the lymph nodes, my understanding is that it is very unlikely to have metastesized elsewhere in the body.
  • Because of the ultrasound reading of the lymph nodes, I finally now have a clinical diagnosis of stage: cT2N0M0, meaning a clinical or presurgical confirmation diagnosis of a Stage 2 Tumor, with no lymph nodes and no metastasis. This clinical diagnosis has a very high survival rate, compared to higher stages. If any lymph node had looked suspicious, a lymph node biopsy prior to surgery and an auxillary lymph node dissection (taking all of them, not just the first guys in the sentinnel node biopsy) would like be required. Whew, dodged that bullet
  • Two breast surgeons appear to agree on some things. The things they agree on aren't all things I want to hear, but I like that they agree. I am feeling beyond tired at the moment, so I will save all the gory details for tomorow.
  • Having an IVF cycle is a brilliant idea, and I'm seeing a kind and smart doctor to make it happen.
One step closer to the game plan. As a preview for tomorrow, if any of you all know much about fat grafting, I would love to talk with you about it.

1 comment:

  1. Allison you look fabulous as always. So happy to read this wonderful post. A sign of good things to come.

    ReplyDelete