Friday, June 27, 2014

Embrace your journey

Risk and luck are not the same. Since my diagnosis, I have at times been feeling very "unlucky" given the odds of being diagnosed with breast cancer at my very young age.


If current age is:
Absolute risk of developing breast cancer in the next 10 years is:
20
1 in 1,732 (0.06%)
Me at 32 --->   30

1 in 228 (0.4%)

40
1 in 69 (1.5%)
50
1 in 43 (2.3%)
60
1 in 29 (3.5%)
70
1 in 26 (3.8%)
Lifetime risk
1 in 8 (12.3%)
Source: American Cancer Society, Breast Cancer Facts & Figures 2013-2014 [4].

On the one hand, it is comforting to think that maybe everything happens for a reason, but I just can't buy into that wholeheartedly. There are two many good things that happen to horrible people, and too many horrible things that happen to good people for that to make sense to me. Life can seem very unfair.

I was sitting in the doctor's office this morning watching a story about this beauty pageant winner who lost her crown because she is too old according to the rules. She cried on national tv. Yes, that seems horribly unfair for her, but there were rules. She was not eligible to win according to the rules. Tough, but there is at least a reason there. Unfortunately for me, cancer doesn't follow rules. I'd happily trade places with her.

One of the phrases that has been helping me cope with all this is that "you play the hand you are dealt." I can't change having cancer - this is the hand I was dealt. Regardless of whether there is some cosmic reason or whether it is all by chance, I still have to deal with it. I can focus on how I feel, manage my perspective, seek help from others, rally a rockstar medical team, etc.

Two great quotes from this article, "How to Truly Improve Your Luck," that I read today struck me:
  • "The best approach [to being lucky], research suggests, isn’t a laser-like focus on what you think you want. It’s to cultivate a radical openness to unplanned experiences, loosen your grip on your goals, and embrace uncertainty."
  • "Uncertainty feels uncomfortable, so we’re tempted to do whatever we can to get rid of it. But learning to tolerate it instead will bring you better luck."
So here goes...


No comments:

Post a Comment