Sunday, June 29, 2014

Just do things

A lot of people have been asking questions about the fertility preservation process, since it is very similar to what someone without cancer might go through. Shady Grove, where I'm going, actually sends out really interesting and helpful emails, but you'll have to sign up to receive them in order to get the content. This website has a pretty solid explanation of the IVF cycle I'm doing. It started with Ganirelix to quiet things down. Now we've moved on to follicule stimulation with an injection of Bravelle and Menopur mixed together and oral Femara. I had a blood test and ultrasound again this morning. My estrogen is a bit low at 45 and my follicules (all 41 of them!) are a bit tiny, so I've been asked to bump up the Bravelle and come in again on Tuesday for more bloodwork and an ultrasound. The bloodwork and ultrasound appointments start 2-3 days apart and then accelerate to daily towards the end (July 4-8 window, probably towards the later side).

I feel lucky to be such a fertile Myrtle. I have also become an absolute pro at the injections and at mixing my own medications. I didn't get the air bubble out on my first injection, but that's the only time I ever bruised or bled. I am sort of grateful for the amount of belly fat I have. Once or twice I moved the injection site to a little bit leaner spot closer to my hip bone, and the less fatty injection spots are more unpleasant because you can feel any slight wiggle in the needle, as you're closing the plunger, a lot more. Not horrible, just more noticeable. Silver lining, right? I never expected to feel grateful for belly fat.

Dear friends who have been trying to get pregnant for more than 6 months, go see your doctor. Go to Shady Grove if you can. Waiting is just wasting time. Same thing for you people who haven't gotten your physical this year (or in a really long time), go! It's worth it, even if just to hear that nothing is wrong with you.

I gave myself a pep talk this evening. Time to stop making excuses (wahhh, cancer. wahhh, tired. wahhh, my lower back still hurts. wahhh, too much to do, so feeling like doing nothing). Just go do things!

No comments:

Post a Comment