Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Surgeon is set, met with the geneticist, and first IVF injection

Met with THE surgeon today. It all looks like things are going to finally fall into place. Tomorrow I will be the subject of a breast cancer conference amongst a bunch of doctors and research nurses who will debate different courses of treatment in my case.  Kind of cool! Guess my ears will be burning tomorrow morning, until my surgeon calls to give me a recap and the consensus. Below, me modeling the super cape, made like a paper towel, they give you for exams.


Met with the geneticist too. Looks like with all my family history, at most my chance of a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation is 4.71% without having done any tests. Given my luck with odds lately, I want to know for sure. There are 6 other genes that genetics science knows a bit about, so if BRCA comes back negative, we will check those too. Two massive vials of saliva later, my BreastNEXT test is in the mail.  2 weeks till BRCA, 5 weeks til the others. 

Lastly, we got the go ahead last night to start injections for a fertility treatment to preserve eggs/embryos in case the chemo steals that from us. First injection of probably 16. Every bit as awkward as you can imagine.  Rather than explain in words, we just took video... Good for a laugh! 



2 comments:

  1. Allison you were TOUGH!... But Josh- he looked like he might faint ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. He can't even watch Nip/Tuck episodes!

    ReplyDelete