Thursday, June 26, 2014

Hyper scheduling...

A non-exhaustive list of many upcoming appointments in the next two weeks:

Acupuncture by Dr. Luke Tian. Tue July 1 @ 11:30am. Never done true acupuncture before, although I am a huge fan of dry needling related to my CrossFit activities. Acupuncture has been heavily studied and has shown in clinical trials to have a wealth of benefits for cancer patients, in particular managing nausea during chemo, pain, and fatigue. Often, smaller doses of medications are required when patients regularly receive acupuncture, and acupuncture has far fewer side effects than the nasty drugs I'll be taking to manage the side effects of the even nastier chemo. 24 acupuncture visits a year are covered by my Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employee Program Insurance, and Dr. Tian has specialized in cancer research specifically. I am definitely going. Dr. Tian wants to see me before I start treatment and he asked me to bring all my medical reports and labs so that he can see me as a whole person from the beginning. This is exactly what my radiation oncologist wanted too, even though I don't see her again till December. I am pleased. I really like having an A-team of experts to help me through this. I highly value excellence and precision.

Wig Consult by Hans of Eivind and Hans Salon of Georgetown. Thu July 3 @ 9:30am. These guys have been featured in The Washington Post and the Washingtonian. I met another cancer patient who got her wig here as well. I don't really want to buy my wig at the same place people go for Halloween costumes and cosplay, although many exist. This place is nice. Also, these guys have trained specifically to help cancer patients and have been recognized for their community service. Supposedly it's best to get a wig a few shades lighter, so people just think you got highlights, and also to get bangs, to camoflauge your missing eyebrows down the road. Guess we will see. A wig is partially covered by insurance as a "cranial prosthesis" - the first $350 is out of my pocket, but the ceiling is unlimited. 1 wig per lifetime though.

Skydiving. Sun Jul 6 @ 9am.

Egg retrieval. Early Monday? Hormones will do what they will do. We won't know precisely till 36-48h out. I'll have a ton more fertility appointments as we get closer to this time window.

Look Good Feel Better Group Program. Mon July 7 @ 10am. Offered by the American Cancer Society, "group programs are step-by-step makeover learning sessions led by cosmetology professionals using products donated by the cosmetic industry. Each two-hour, hands-on workshop includes a 12-step skin care and makeup lesson, nail care techniques, and professional advice on how to deal with hair loss using wigs, scarves, hats, hairpieces, and other accessories." You can't get a mani-pedi during chemo because they are worried you will get an infection. Even doing it yourself, nails become weird and thin. Skin gets dry and pale. No eyebrows or eyelashes. The makeup lesson should help before I have to paint them on myself. I am kind of anti-scarf at this point - I don't want to look like a pirate. Hats I love. My grandmother could walk by the rack in any department store and pick up the most lifeless hideous hat, put it on her head, and a few pulls and tweaks later, it became glamorous. Even before Kate Middleton started bringing hats back, I've always had a collection and worn them proudly.

Chemo training with Dr. Bishop, CRNP. Mon July 7 @ 1pm. Learning the ins and outs of all the meds and how to manage side effects.

Port consultation with interventional radiology. Mon July 7 @ 2pm. Some people just show up and have the surgery without ever meeting the radiologist. I am not some Thanksgiving turkey to be presented and carved up by a total stranger. Besides, I am 32. I want to discuss scar placement. I do not find the convenience of nurses a compelling reason to have a 2-3" scar in a highly visible area on my chest for the next 50 years. They will have to deal with it 18 times over 1 whole year. I will have to look at that scar everyday for a much longer time. I hear that they can place the port near your underarm rather than right underneath the collar bone.

Port surgery with interventional radiology. Tue Jul 8 @ 11am. I do still want the port though. I hear PICC lines are horrible. Hard to maintain, prone toward infection. Yuck. No, I will take the port (in as discrete a spot as possible).

Chemo day. Wed Jul 9, nurse appointment @ 9:30am, chemo starts at 11am and lasts 3-4 hours. Want to come? Let me know!

Chemo immune system booster, Neulasta. Thu Jul 10 @ 1:15pm. If my insurance will pay for me to do it at home, I will. I've gotten very good at the subcutaneous injections lately!

Oncology nutrition appointment. Thu Jul 10 @ 4pm.



No comments:

Post a Comment