Monday, September 8, 2014

Once a month meals

I am trying to get ready for chemo on Wednesday. Having good food in the house so that I don't eat total carby, sugary crap as my first meal post-fast is a part of that. Like many CrossFitters, I endeavor to eat Paleo, but it is extremely time intensive and inconvenient. I often fall short of the 85% paleo general goal. I feel better when I eat cleanly, and I can tell that recently, too many vacay goodies are crowding out the protein and veggies I should be eating. I also would like to mind the grocery and restaurant budget a little more closely.

In the past, I have found thefoodee.com very helpful because you pick paleo recipes and it accumulates a grocery list for you. It is not perfect, but still a big time saver if weekly shopping is what you are after. Sometimes I still let my lettuce wilt or don't get around to cooking on the day that I planned to. :-(

This time, I went in even more aggressively. I used the paleo menu from onceamonthmeals.com. I spent $325 to buy groceries, including some staples and spices, for me and Josh for the whole month. (DC is ridiculously expensive, that is actually a really good cost for a whole month- I dont even want to tell you how much we usually spend.) Most but not all was organic/grassfed/antibiotic-free/steroid-free/cage-free/blah blah blah blah.

I ordered through Peapod by Giant and had it delivered. I spent about 2h on prep earlier this week. I started a little late cooking today, but after 6h, I hit a good stopping point with 3 recipes left that I will make tomorrow. Everything I made is packged up and frozen for 2 people, and we will eat each meal twice this month with just a quick reheat! Of course I sampled everything as I was making it, and everything was delicious. 

While an epic cooking marathon might not seem like the approach to take, I feel like if I can plan better to get the hard part out of the way when I feel well, then Josh and I will end up eating out less and not throwing out produce, just because I didn't feel up to fixing things. Sometimes all I can handle is the microwave, and this will get me there!

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand your cooking philosophy. I'm not as good at cooking healthy as you or Emily but I do like to be efficient. For one week a month I'll cook dinner each night that would feed 6. We eat that meal and save for 2 additional. On the weekends I might do some big items and I'll net an additional 3 or 4. All those extras go right into the freezer and I can lay low for the next three weeks. When it's 100+ degrees out ya don't want to be turning the oven on believe me. Hope you got the news via email to Josh. I'm feeling pretty good right now. Pressing on until 9/26

    ReplyDelete