Monday, September 1, 2014

Happy Labor Day!

Had an awesome time visiting Chicago this past weekend! I was quite sure that I did not like Chicago before I went, and boy was I wrong! It was beautiful. Walt Disney World clean. Everyone was beyond nice. The architecture was amazing. Beautiful gardens everywhere. Food was excellent. I would definitely go back, maybe not in winter, but definitely in summer!

I returned late home yesterday and enjoyed the federal holiday. A friend cooked us breakfast, which was lovely! This afternoon I spent trying to get my medical bills a little bit better organized. I'm also doing more research on proton beam therapy as an alternative to traditional radiation. Proton beam therapy is more precise - the technique often used is called "pencil beam targeting." It's really new. There are only 14 centers in the United States. One is in Knoxville, and my grandmother requested info on my behalf. I followed up today with a request for more information. I also sent a request to the center in Seattle where my in-laws live. And, I sent a request to Loma Linda, California. I don't know anyone out there, but they are running a clinical trial out there for early stage breast cancer, which mine is (stage II), unless my lymph nodes come back positive after post-surgery pathology, and then I am stage III. Let's hope not. I don't think I am currently eligible for the trial, but I would love to somehow get in. It looks like if my tumor was 5cm or bigger, my lymph nodes were involved, I was over 40, or it was in my left breast rather than right, I might be able to get this new therapy. But, I'm not any of those things. Sigh. I don't know. I'm still going to ask. Seems a lot less damaging than traditional beam. Guess we'll see.

Josh is sick with a cold, coughing like crazy. I am taking Zicam now even though I have no symptoms and am trying hard not to get it with near obsessive handwashing. He always gets sick first, and then he gets better. He gets me sick, and then I stay sick for like 100 days. I cannot afford to get sick. I want to dip him in bleach and Lysol everything. What do you say - Cover your mouth or it could literally kill me? Sigh. Cross your fingers. My immune systems is going to need a lucky break. Plane travel and now a sick husband are not auspicious signs.

1 comment:

  1. Dang Allison you live on the edge don't you. Air travel and Josh sick and now you are a member of the Star Ship Enterprise at the controls of the Proton Beam Laser. I think those meds are getting to you... Chicago was nice?? You must have been Up-town. Best hold on to your wigs so the wind doesn't grab one.

    ReplyDelete