Sunday, July 13, 2014

Chemo is like a bad picnic.

I feel like I went to a bad picnic. Where somebody's kid gave me flu, the potato salad sat in the sun a little too long, and  I got a little bit sun poisoned and hungover. This post may involve too much information for some sensitive readers, but I feel compelled to record my observations for the sake of science and the benefit of future patients who might read this.

I am three days post chemo round 1 of Taxotere (docetaxol), Carboplatin, Herceptin (trastuzamab), and Perjeta (pertuzamab). I have 5 rounds remaining of the full cocktail, then I drop to 12 rounds of Herceptin only. We wrapped up round 1of the full cocktail around 6pm on Thursday.

The day of, I felt pretty good but noticed some redness in my face, neck, shoulders and arms around 8pm. Like a sunburn.

I woke up in the morning on Friday feeling rough. I took a hot bath and started the anti nausea RX and homeopathic diarrhea meds. I then went to acupuncture for an hour and left feeling a bit more fortified. We added some preventative needles in my hands and feet for possible neuropathy side effects. I slept for an hour with needles vibrating gently under a mild electrical current. It surprised me that I felt so much better when I got up.

I really wanted to go to coach my usual Friday evening CrossFit classes, just to be as normal as possible and be surrounded by friends. I pretty much took it easy till it was time to go and made it through all three classes without having to demo, which I can't since my port side shoulder is out of commission. It was great going, but I think it will be too much in the future for the week of chemo.

I sometimes need to remind myself of what I am going through. I  did just go through 20 days of injections to produce hormones that felt like 4 years of periods and a pregnancy in that short time, surgery where my ovaries got jabbed with a needle 29 times, another surgery to stitch a medical device to my pec wall and lace a hose through a central neck vein, oh and then chemo. It was a lot. If I am tired and sore, there is a reason.

Around 9pm on Friday, I felt worse. The sunburn seemed to be getting more intense in my face, neck, and chest, although it had receded on my arms. A lot of associated fatigue. I called the doc on call, who said it was a rare but not life threatening phenomenon where your skin recalls a sunburn from ages ago. Mine was probably April  11 at the MAAC CrossFit competition. I asked if I could take Claritin and she said it wouldn't hurt and it might help with a histamine response. I was also glad because it was time for my Neulasta shot and there is some internet lore going around that it helps prevent bone pain. So much anecdotal evidence it is actually being studied.  Glad I knew to ask and had already done my research. I took Claritin and the shot and felt a lot better.

Before bed, I decided to switch from the homeopathic meds, which were mostly working, to 1 tablet of Imodium. Mistake! Things have since gone in the opposite  direction, with a lot of pain and bloating, and not enough movement. I keep walking and drinking my ginger tea, so that is helping. I have never really had digestive troubles in my life, so this is all new to me. I would not wish tummy troubles on my worst enemy.

Saturday was not horrible, but I didn't feel good either. I could hold out till about 7.5h before the anti nausea meds, whereas on Friday I wanted them at 7 hours. I am supposed to take them every 8. By Sunday, I slept through the night and made my morning dose at 9h without too much angst, but I just needed to turn the lights out and sleep the rest of the day.

I tried to eat what I could but rarely made it above 1000 calories. I am trying to eat healthy, but I discovered a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup is about the only thing that covers up the chewed up taste of Pepto. Small meals really helped. I am worried about getting enough protein. I may order the Vanilla or Birthday Cake protein powder from About Time.  Normally I love chocolate but I think the taste might be too much. Even an apple tasted a bit funky the other day. I would love a leaner body composition out of this, I just don't want to be weak and lose all the muscle strength I worked to gain. Sigh.

I just want to feel good and strong and healthy again. Here's to hoping day 4 is better.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear all your pain Allison!! Just remember this is temporary and in no time u will be C&J 200#!! Just have faith and keep moving!! Hope everything will be smoother with time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are not holding back on your blog. My Dad and my brother both went through Chemo and they would never tell me what was really going on. I appreciate your honest and frank dissection of each step you are taking. Bold and courageous is what you are. So go ahead and post that you are mad as Hell and want to cry all day. I wouldn't blame you at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ramzi. Thanks Dona. I guess this first round is all about learning to manage the side effects!

    ReplyDelete