Thursday, July 10, 2014

Port installed so I am now part Terminator

With my new equipment installed, I now feel like a female Terminator (Terminatrix?). Look out cancer!
 
 
They gave me a "Power Port," which is supposedly a more advanced model that can take the high rate of injection speed needed for radioactive dye, like I had for the breast MRI and PET/CT. I will probably have those again, so thanks to Dr. Johnson for thinking ahead. It is also lightweight, "cosmetically appealing" according to the website, and it will reduce the need for needle sticks in the future. The more it is used, the less the needle will hurt there. I still have a prescription numbing cream called Emla for tomorrow's chemo though.
 
 
There is very little bruising. It hurts less than the egg retrieval procedure, but it still hurts, so I am pretty happy I started on hydrocodone for pain from yesterday's surgery and Zofran for nausea as prep for tomorrow's chemo. Thank goodness for that. The worst spot is where it loops over my collar bone on the way to the vein. If he had put it under the collar bone there would have been a higher risk of "pinch off," essentially getting a kink in the hose. He may have called it something else I think but I can't remember and forgot to write it down. Super low body fat folks sometimes get other ports under the collar bone, but I have enough fat to avoid that so better odds for me avoiding complications. Surprisingly, the pocket for the port doesn't hurt much at all. It's kind of burning and sore, but not real pain pain, if that makes any sense.
 
The threading of the catheter through my vein is unpleasant and weird but not painful. The termination of the catheter in my neck is a little twingy even through the hydrocodone. It feels weird and tight to turn my head away from the port because the muscles in my neck and attached to the collar bone are tight around the incision and the new catheter under my skin feels odd. Basically I am trying to remember to turn my whole body rather than just my head to look. Maybe the catheter gets more bendy as time passes. I have iced it all day, and that has also really helped with pain and bruising. In about 2 weeks, I will be able to use my arm for anything above chest level. Until then I have been advised not to lift anything heavier than a coffee cup with this arm. Once the incisions heal, I can do whatever I want except play tackle football. I might have to think about whether I can roll atlas stones and strongman kegs over the other side. I am still a CrossFitter after all!
 
I think Dr. Johnson did a really good job. He put the big incision exactly where I drew the marker, and I am so grateful. He remembered and mentioned the dress he knows I want to be able to wear without a scar showing after all this is over. There are two incisions, one in my neck, and one in the fold of this weird side booblet that I have never liked and constantly try to keep tucked away behind clothes. It took him longer than a usual placement to thread more catheter up and around, but I'm so pleased. When the port comes out, I may ask for some scar revision especially up by my neck, but I think if I wear a big chunky necklace, no one will ever know. I actually had a mole removed there years ago, and he was nice enough to put it pretty much right back on top of the older scar after our discussion. As soon as the liquid bandaid comes off, I will also wear a 50 or higher SPF sunscreen to help the scar fade to white and be less noticeable. See photo below. Not bad for same day! Given all the poking and threading that had to be done, I don't think I could have had a more perfect job from Dr. Johnson and his team. Less bruising than my biopsy even. I feel so lucky to have such good medical care.
 
Incision #Selfie. Note the collar bone and upper outer quadrant of breast. I don't think that will ever show. The slight redness is from the ice pack I just took off, but no big deal.
Nice spot, Dr. Johnson!
 
I finally worked up the courage to share my story on Facebook, and it was just what I needed today. I got texts, posts, emails and messages from friends old and new. I felt so loved and supported. I read them all the way down from my prep room to the OR till the last possible second before they took me in. I just can't say enough how much that meant to me and how very much I needed all of that today. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. 
 
Other photos from today:
A kiss good night and good luck!
Rollin!
I've got a ticket to ride!
Last round of consent forms with nurse anesthesist Mike, an all-round kind-hearted fun rockstar. Not pictured, other OR team members Javan, "G", Pat, and another really nice guy whose name I can't remember but I think did radiation tech for the mid-surgery x rays and also helped me get a lead blanket for my pelvis to avoid unnecessary radiation that had a small chance of hitting my reproductive organs. Dr. Brian Johnson also not pictured, but imagine a smarter, nicer, less wimpy and better-looking Dr. McDreamy, and that's about right.
 
Last shot with Javan as I got wheeled into the OR!

1 comment:

  1. Ticket to ride is an understatement... Hooray on the egg harvest what an amazing harvest Ms. Fertile Myrtle. And now all wired up. I'm starting to picture you as an awesome Borg that is good and true and telling the cancer that resistance is futile. It just needs to shrivel up and blow away like dust, never to return. Your posts are so riveting and upbeat. We are all standing tall for you and Josh.

    ReplyDelete