Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Trigger Day

Sunday, July 6, 2014 at 11:30 pm, we did the trigger shot. Precisely 36 hours later, I will be having the egg retrieval (Tuesday, July 8 at 11:30am). This has resulted in a schedule shift for my port insertion (now Wednesday at 11:30am) and first round of chemo (now Thursday at 11:30am). Future chemo rounds will still be on Wednesdays.
 
 
Sunday started like everyday this week, blood work and ultrasound. Sadly, no skydiving due to the bed rest. I am running out of free space on my veins for more needles. Everything is looking good with 26+ follicles growing well. Yes, that's the needle.
 
 
When one of the nurses asked me how I was feeling, I told her "like I am about to lay an ostrich egg." Apparently the hormones do make you retain water and this can make you more susceptible to retaining fluids after the retrieval... which is very bad because then you would have to be aspirated (poked with a needle, in your ovaries) under sedation again. She told me to eat salt and drink Gatorade, so this is what I picked up at the pharmacy on my way out the door.
 
 
Here's the video and out takes. The beeping in the background is the oven timer. Yes, we did it practically to the minute, because we wanted it to be that precise.
 

 
We had liquid vitamin shots to celebrate after. To good health and fertility.

 
On Monday, back to the doctors. I went to Walter Reed for an American Cancer Society Look Good Feel Better event, but there was a date snafu and three other cancer patients and I ended up having some girl time bonding. The ladies were lovely and had some helpful tips for me. One was very early on her journey, the other had been down this road before and the cancer had come back. It was so helpful though to talk to people who understood this madness though. The coordinator at Walter Reed also talked with us for a while and gave us all "port pillows" to cushion the port placement against the seat belts in the car. So sweet. I'll be back next Monday for the real event.

I also had my "chemo training" on Monday. All the things to expect for chemo. I got a binder. Most of it seems like homework. I feel pretty good though. My original appointment was supposed to be the same day as chemo started, and I pretty much had a panic attack in the parking garage leaving the hospital the day it was scheduled because I was so upset I wouldn't get my questions answered. Another cancer patient at Sibley lent me her book, which was about the most helpful thing ever. Instant relief. I also was able to get the chemo training moved up two days when I called back, and that really helped too. I felt like I was prepared when I went in. Dr. Bishop did a good and efficient job explaining. I asked a lot of questions, but she answered them all kindly, thoroughly and well.

My third appointment was a consult for the port placement, which has really made me anxious. I do not want a hideous scar to show every time I wear a tank top, sports bra, bikini, or even strapless dress. Normally the interventional radiologists just show up and do their thing, no questions asked. Dr. Johnson still met with me and answered my questions. I wore a dress with a very open square neck and told him I wanted to be able to wear the dress again after without the scar showing. At my request, he even drew on me where the insertion would be. His view was that vertical and horizontal incisions still both leave scars, so the direction is not significant. He's also going to use a titanium and silicone model Mediport version instead of plastic and rubber to try to minimize the chance of an allergic reaction. The catheter will still be polyurethane, but that's ok. If I have a reaction, I have a reaction. Hopefully not, but with the amount of poking and the possibility of vein drama and other things, I think the port is still the way to go. I am very pleased.

I know it must seem ridiculous to the doctors that I ask so many questions, but I can't help it. I have two law degrees and almost 7 years of practice, drilling in my head to constantly think of the worst case scenario and plan for that. Seriously, lawyers are professionally trained pessimists. I'm still a very hopeful and positive person, but we are taught to plan for the worst, and I think that's held me well. I just think that way now. I don't think I could turn it off if I wanted to. I am grateful that they have been so indulgent in answering my questions. It makes me feel so much better - that I am not as helpless in this mess because I am not as ignorant anymore.

All in all, very pleased. Monday was happily a shot-free, needle-free day. I spoke with two pharmacies three times, schedulers 4 times, insurance once, and fertility financing once. I also picked up more perscriptions at CVS. A very full day.

This Week's Schedule:
Tuesday 7/8 10am arrival, 11:30 am egg retrieval
Wednesday 7/9 10am arrival, 11:30 am port placement
Thursday 7/10 11:30am - 6pm first round of chemo (future rounds will be back on Wednesdays)
Friday 7/11 10am acupuncture, 7pm self-injection with Neulasta

5 comments:

  1. Allison, thank you for bringing us along on your journey. Watching you take charge and power ahead amazing strength, fortitude and resolve makes me proud to know you. I especially like the videos of you sticking yourself and the expression on Josh's face at 3:44 is priceless! I thought I would share this little cancer science video with you. I'm thinking about you and Josh constantly :)

    Chris

    http://laughingsquid.com/microscopic-video-of-white-blood-cell-attacking-cancer-cell/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. My mental visualization will be much more accurate now. In my head, I've been thinking little Mrs. Pac Man. Good, but not so sciencey. I LOVE THIS. Thank you. Miss you and the Seattle crew. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yey!! Can't wait to see a little bender kid in few years!! Cheers to good health, brighter future and many kids to come..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you said Ramzi, 2015 will be my year got luck to change!

    ReplyDelete