Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Day 4 & 5, the horror

Day 4 post chemo I woke up in pain from extreme bloating. I had very little energy. Nothing seemed to help. I've been trying to walk 10,000 steps a day for some kind of exercise. Less than 3,000 on Day 4 because I was so weak and tired. Gatorade, chicken broth and a little bit of rice was all I had to eat. I switched from Zofran to Ativan at 3pm because they think that might be contributing to bloat. I also tried adding Mylanta, with a little success. I also developed a headache.

Day 5 I woke up in pain and spewed bile from both ends simultaneously. I had some chicken broth and kept it down. I didn't bother with meds. I went in for a sick visit with the nurse practitioner, Dr. Bishop. I don't think they know what to do with me. My potassium levels are high, so she told me she would call in a prescription to bring it down and that it was very important. Josh drove me straight to CVS since I was too weak to drive. The pharmacy said nothing had been called in. It's about 40 minutes in traffic, so plenty of time. I called the office and no one could find her and she hadn't entered the order, so no one else could do it either. The receptionist told me she would have Dr. Bishop call me. She didn't. 90 minutes later I called the other nurse. They had talked about me and decided not to give me the potassium reducer since it would make my other side effects worse. Instead I am supposed to go in tomorrow for more blood work. I have nothing for tonight. I am afraid to take any medicine because it seems to be making it worse. I am feeling pretty frustrated and alone.  If I can't tolerate the standard course of chemo they will reduce it, but I feel more sick from the anti nausea meds than anything else. I don't want to take any chances on cancer coming back. Still, I have never felt so sick or weak in my life. I even had to rest on the way from the elevator to office door. My purse feels heavy. I hate this.

No comments:

Post a Comment